Saturday, May 19, 2012

Introducing Colton David Duke

Monday, May 14, Colton David Duke (David is my dad's name) was born by way of mandatory C-Section at 8:25 am at the Baylor Hospital in Grapevine.  He was 18 1/2 inches long and weighed 6 pounds 9 ounces.  He is the spitting image of Dylan.  We sure love our new little guy!

Checking into the hospital at 6 am:
 Ready to get rid of my 42 pound belly:
My blood pressure had gone through the roof, which is why they moved up my C-Section date.  I was so dizzy and felt like I was going to throw up in this picture (and for the next day or so).  The hospital staff kept telling me it was a good thing I delivered when I did:
***WARNING: Not for viewers with weaker stomachs***
The moment of my C-Section when Colton emerged: 
 To make a long story short, Colton's feet were stuck in my ribs, I lost a lot of blood, and Colton had trouble breathing initially.  His birth was pretty scary that first little bit.  This is my first glimpse of him coming over the curtain for a quick peek before they went to work suctioning his lungs.  Great first impression: I gave birth to an alien.
Much better looking.  Significantly more earth-like:

 Look at Colton's feet, especially his left one, to see how squished they are because they were shoved in my ribs the past few months.  My mom said that when she first saw him all covered in blood it looked like he was missing a foot because it was bent flat against his shin.  He has had X-rays done and we are going to an orthopedic doctor on Monday to see what needs to be done to correct it:


 Proud G-ma with Colton:

 First mom and baby pictures:



 3 generations:


Colton and I with my anesthesiologist and Dr. Michael White:
 We love Dr. White!  He took very good care of me this very eventful pregnancy:
 Daddy and his little man:
 Coach Autrey:




 1st bath:


 Big brother Dylan meeting his little brother:




 He loved to play in my hospital bed when he came to visit.  He also loved the 'Big Brother' gifts he got to open everyday (games, puzzles, stuffed animals).  We are trying to make Dylan feel special and not have him feel like he is being replaced:




 G-ma and Dylan came to the hospital every morning to see me and would come again when Autrey would get off of work at night.  The rest of the day G-ma and Dylan were buddies playing at home, reading books, singing songs, going to the park, making strawberry jam and Rice Krispie treats, etc.  Dylan also picked up the phrase "Me for Mitt."  I got a kick out of that:





 This week Autrey went out with Dylan and came back with this bike, a baseball tee, and a lizard sprinkler to play with:
 Our little family leaving the hospital last night to enter the real world:




 Thanks for the 1st outfit, Mimi!





 1st night home and ready to go to bed after a cuddle with G-ma:


We love you, baby Colton!

10 comments:

  1. Oh congrats!!!! I'm so, so happy for you. He is precious. :) Good luck with the recovery! I'm glad your mom is there to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow seeing Colton with the blood makes my stomach turn. I bet that was hard to see. I'm glad he's doing well! And you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Shilo! You have a beautiful family. Hope you recover well and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! He's super cute and I love how much he looks like his brother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, he is so cute! He looks just like his big brother. Congratulations, guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is super cute! Sorry to hear about the rough beginnings though, glad things are going better now!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey is adorable. Congrats on the cute baby..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to get that handled shilo! You are such a trooper!!! This post was awesome! Hope all is well! Liz Shurtz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Shilo and Autrey! He looks beautiful. Keep us updated on what happens with Colton's foot. I wish you all the best with your recovery. Let me know if you need a good women's physical therapist. My clinical instructor know pretty much everyone in Women's Health.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shilo-

    He is just precious and does look just like his brother--I love the peach fuzz--looks so soft. Glad you are doing ok despite some scary moments. Your description of his feetstuck under your ribs is just like what happened to me when Natalie was born--only it was her head stuck under my ribs and yes her head was squished and she didn't breathe at first either. Only they didn't show her to me at all and I was a wreck waiting what seemed like forever to finally hear her cry.

    By the way--I love the pics of your first moments seeing Dillon on the OR table, you look seriously amazing. Way too pretty for the blue cap!

    ReplyDelete