Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Dylan's Super Surgery

At Dylan's 4 year old well check appointment the pediatrician decided it would be a good idea to go to the urologist because she thought he had a communicating hydrocele.  This past Friday he had an inguinal hernia repair.  I am really glad it was quickly discovered and taken care of.  I am also glad the hernia never caused him any pain before the surgery.  I mean, he went to Let's Jump the day before surgery, if that tells you anything.  Clearly we didn't realize the extent of the problem before it was resolved.  Dylan was so excited for his "Super Surgery to fix the hole in his belly."  He loved the special hospital bed, special 'cape,' the show on the little tv, and the giggle juice they gave him.  I, on the other hand, slept even worse than usual the night before and my stomach was tied in knots the entire morning.  I almost cried when they wheeled him away and I had to wait for what seemed like forever in a tiny room by myself.  Mona joked in a text that I should have asked for some giggle juice.  Not a bad idea.  Luckily, Autrey had a slow patient load and came just before Dylan woke up.  Dylan is like his parents and doesn't do so well waking up from anesthesia.  He cried off and on for 45 minutes and said he felt like he was going to throw up while we took turns holding him.  But after he stopped crying he was a champ.  He was doing so well Autrey and I went to ward temple night on Saturday and left the boys with G-ma.  But on the way back from the temple we had to stop to get some laxatives for him.  It took 24 hours and multiple doses for them to finally work.  Poor guy.  I can totally relate.  Dylan is proud he has a "big owie" stomach scar like mommy.     

Chilling with G-ma and watching movies after he got home from the hospital on Friday:



 Low energy activities to keep him from running and jumping:
 Playing the "Number Sun" game, matching stickers to the numbered clothes pin:
 He was even feeling so well, and begged so hard, we let him go out and drive his police car: 

 Colton does 'donuts' in the backhoe, which is pretty funny to watch:
 Buzz and Woody playing together.  Those are the boots G-ma got Dylan when he was a cowboy for Halloween just before he turned 2.  Makes Colton walk bowlegged:


 Woody, with his Buzz Lightyear gun from Disneyland:

 My dear friend, Meagan Kemp, sadly is moving next month and gave us some of Cash and Chloe's toys, including that big bag of foam blocks.  Dylan loves to play with them and carry the bag around.  Colton liked to run around carrying G-ma's back cushions to be like his big brother:
 I didn't think I was really going to need a lot of help, but I am really glad mom came up so at first I could just focus on Dylan while she took care of Colton and meals and cut their hair and such, and later she was able to watch the boys while I took care of Relief Society stuff/home visits/meetings, dropped off much of the 4 dozen cinnamon rolls she made to neighbors and ward members (my friends get really excited when she comes), went grocery shopping by myself (hallelujah), did laundry, exercised, and took a nap or two.  She even substituted in Autrey's primary class on Sunday because Dylan stayed home from church and only wanted daddy to help him when he had trouble going potty.  Mom took a picture of this painting of the baptisms in the Susquehanna River hanging in the Relief Society room.  That's where my sister, Meagan, got baptized and it reminds me of my PA home.  
Speaking of which, it is still kind of weird for me to send mom back home on her way to Utah instead of Pennsylvania.  It will be easier once the house is done being built.  They just started the framing, so it's coming along nicely.  Mom said one of the best things about this trip was Colton learning to say "G-ma" and "G-pa."  He would follow her around calling her name.  When she got out of the car to run into Charming Charlie's for a 15 minute shopping spree before we went to the airport today, Colton kept asking, "Where G-ma?"  And Dylan wanted to go with G-ma on the airplane so bad.  Melted my heart how sweet they were.  Hopefully next time she comes everyone will be healthy and she won't bring the cold weather with her again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment