Friday, May 3, 2013

Olde Oaks Boys Reunion

The third annual Olde Oaks Boys reunion in Houston happened in March at Stanley Ellis' house.  Yeah, the straight shooting farm boy that just spoke in General Conference.  Christa Ellis took most of the pictures, so I waited until she posted on her blog today to make an entry.  I copied and pasted most of her commentary too.
The boys:
I feel like hardly any time has passed since we were all in college together...7+ years and 10+ kids later.  Christa, Diane, and Amanda (the 3 ladies on the bottom right) are expecting again: 
Saturday was mostly spent enjoying the beautiful spring weather in the backyard with volleyball, a kiddie pool, and some golf in Rob's personal driving range he set up.  In the afternoon we had hot dogs/hamburgers for lunch.  And an Olde Oaks Boys reunion wouldn't be complete without at least a few taste tests.  This year was:

  • French Fries: Sonic vs Whataburger vs Jack-in-the-Box vs Burger King vs McDonalds.  Winner: McDonalds.  Runner-up: Burger King/Jack-in-the-Box (I have to say that temperature probably played a part in the results.  2 guys went out to pick up orders from 2-3 places each.  The fries that were picked up last were hotter and therefore scored higher.)
  • Diet vs Regular Soda; could you really tell the difference?  Verdict: Yes.  But some people just have a fondness for a chemical aftertaste, so they remained loyal to their diet sodas.  
  •  Cereal: Name brand vs Generic.  Verdict: Generic cereals were sweeter and crunchier.  We could tell a difference but the group was split with which they preferred. 
We missed last year's reunion because I went into preterm labor with Colton that week and got put on bedrest.  Too bad because I heard they taste tested Reese's peanut butter cups and the Costco brand won, even though the Reese's brand looked better.

And to finish the day off, we put the kids to bed at Mimi and Papa's house and went out for some frozen yogurt and a killer game of Laser Tag.  Christa wrote "I don't remember who the winner was, but I do know that Shilo has vowed to practice so that next year "EasyTarget" will NOT be such an easy target! :)"  I remember who won.  It was the guy in the red shirt in the top picture.  I'm just proud that I wasn't last.  I learned that wearing black pants is great, as long as you don't have 3 bright white Adidas stripes running down the side.  And I haven't practiced yet.  Next year may be my 3rd time going in my entire life.
This much fun is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment