Wednesday, January 12, 2011

G-ma's 50!

Mom turns 50 on January 12 and we decided to throw her a family surprise party while we were all home. Setting up: Entertaining ourselves while waiting for mom and dad to come home:
It doesn't look like Jackson is really in on the plans. He couldn't have ruined the surprise even if he wanted to. By the way, that secret was kept and mom was surprised. A Christmas miracle. It about killed me to keep 2 exciting secrets from 2 different family members simultaneously, but I did it.
Video of the surprised birthday girl making her grand entrance:

Mom's headstone cake with corpse hand emerging:
(Um, I think an explanation of the epitaph is necessary. Mom is quite certain none of us have ever heard her swear. Any claims otherwise are met with a strong rebuttal. Though no substantial claims have ever been made.) G-ma's little helper:
We dressed her up with objects that represent her:
1. The halo is on her head because she's our family's angel.

2. The water wings signify her daily trips to swim at the YMCA.
3. The fan is included because of the 'personal summers' she is experiencing.

4. The cell phone represents how she is tied to it so she can talk to us, especially at certain times when she knows we are available to talk and might call.

5. The shirt says, "Let's think options!" which is mom's motto. If there's a will there's a way, and mom will make it happen.

6. The blue pin says, "Me for Mitt" because she has become very involved with politics and becoming informed about current events. We are hoping Mitt Romney will run again. We could have just as easily made her a voting ballot or a remote with a button that said "Fox News" and automatically turned to Glenn Beck at 5 pm.
7. The pin in the middle says, "I'm 50. I only look 35!" Well, it's true.

8. The Southwest wings signify her love of the freedom and flexibilty the airline gives her...and its frequent use.

9. The baby doll represents her trips (on Southwest) to come help us with our babies...and to get quality G-ma time.

10. She is holding the wand because before we see her we feel/look like a tired Cinderella, but after a visit with our fairy godmother we feel/hopefully look much better.

11. The stop sign reminds us how she spells out certain words to add emphasis. S-T-O-P N-O-W!

12. The yellow pants are reminicent of the bright yellow pants mom was rocking when dad first met her in their college chemistry class at Snow College where the chemistry began, if ya know what I mean.

13. And last but not least, the Wizard of Oz shoes Ken made for mom because, well, 'there's no place like home.'
After we dressed her up, Kristen handed each one of us a t-shirt that describes us in a humorous way. All are true except hers, that turkey: "If I'm Talking You Should be Taking Notes""Let's think options!""Struggling Hair Farmer""I have no idea what I am doing out of bed""I Am Dad's True #1!!" Sneaky, Kristen. Sneaky.
"Everything I say is substantiated by my own opinion."
"I respect your opinion even though I think mine is better""I didn't do it!""Easily distracted by shiny objects"
Then, mom got a visit from the Grim Reaper: Ashlyn freaked out. I have never seen her move so fast. We had to ask GK to take off his makeup so she could see he wasn't Death coming to suck the life out of her. It took a while but she snapped out of it with a lot of TLC.

Happy 50th Birthday, mom!

1 comment:

  1. It was a great surprise and birthday party!! You know me very well to have shown the most important things to me are Family, Faith and Freedom. (my health and wellness follows close behind) And... you've never.. and will never hear me swear!! I love you all!! Thanks for the great memories!!

    ReplyDelete