Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Laughing at Yourself is a Form of Bravery

When I was looking for pictures of me around 2 years old for my last post I had so much fun looking at my old pictures, both the cute ones and the so-bad-it's-funny ones. I know this is probably only really interesting to family members (as most of my posts have been lately), but if you hang in there at least a few of these will make you laugh. I'm one of those kids that had many awkward phases. However, when this is printed out and looked at by my children in years to come, I want to point out to them that while I might not have ever been incredibly fashion forward, I was never made fun of for what I looked like and I did have friends. We all looked this silly together. Right, everyone?




Mom and newborn me, the 1st of 4 girls. They had always envisioned having 5 boys. Not quite. Even all of my mom's 7 miscarriages were girls. Dad likes to say he's just a ladies' man': The blessing dress Aunt Elaine made for me:Dad liked to dress me up to entertain himself while it was his turn to watch me when mom was at work or school:One year old at mom and dad's graduation from Utah State. I can't imagine getting engaged a month after I turned 20, getting married 3 1/2 months later, having a baby 2 years later while my husband and I each juggled school and work on a tiny budget and lived in a trailer (married housing at the time). Makes my short stint as a working mom seem like a breeze: The horse Grandpa Great (Miller) fixed up and gave me as a baby before he died when I was 6 months old. Sad I never knew him. He was my dad's best man at his wedding:A piglet for Halloween. Yes, those are bottle nipples on pink footie pjs:At the MGM Grand right after Kristen was born when we lived in Reno, NV. Yes, that is a real lion. One look at my face could probably tell you that. Glass or no glass, that is scary when they roar that close:Living in our townhouse at 815 Allenview Drive, just blocks away from the house my parents live in now:Courtesy of Grandma Holdaway, family Cougar Nut:Walking in our sidewalk's wet cement. Not one of my finer moments:Sponge rollers. Not super fun to sleep in, but they get the job done: My dad loves the wildlife:Oh, sweet Grandma Great (Miller). So funny and so kind. She let me play with her cane. Always crocheting in her chair while she talked to me. She died when I was 14:Grandma Miller kisses:In the mountains with Grandpa and Grandma Holdaway, who doesn't get her hair wet if she can help it. If you ever noticed my rediculously freckled shoulders, they are the result of a bad burn just a few hours after this picture was taken that gave me huge water blisters. I'm sure my flesh is frying as I'm smiling:My dad, the big kid with the big...:At Hershey Park. The entire family wore matching shirts. None of us ever got lost, why do you ask?Kindergarten Halloween as Little Bo Peep, complete with little sheep. Costume courtesy of mom:My dog, Pongo, and I at my parents' house. Yup, 101 Dalmations came out right about that time. At least I didn't call him Spot. He was such a good dog. Broke our hearts when his epileptic seizures got so bad he didn't have any good days left. I know now why mom didn't tell us before she took him to the vet when I was in 2nd grade. She probably couldn't have gone through with it:On the top bunk in Kristen and I's purple room with Lucky, our Amazon parrot we rescued from freezing in a crabapple tree in our neighborhood one winter and never found the owners. We kept it until Meagan was learning to walk and shook it's perch, causing him to screech when he would see any of us coming. It was either Meagan or the bird...: I am definitely my father's daughter. Spitting image. I loved it. My dad was my hero and I always bragged about how tall and strong he was: Some of the matching dresses Aunt Elaine made us. These were for Easter one year:Hiking the 'M' in Manti:Manti Temple:I'm wearing the pants, but clearly Kristen wore the pants in our relationship and called most of the shots. And it worked for us. She had an opinion and I usually didn't. She's always been one of my best friends:My turn in the dress:The last time I was ever excited to paint...haha:My baptism at 8 years old in the dress Aunt Elaine made:After a violin recital. I would explain dad's outfit, but I can't:I never needed braces, but the year these bad boys grew in I'm sure it was considered:One of my 13 years playing softball:In Boston. Classic early 90s attire:Aunt Elaine bought the outfits and did our hair for this one:Recogine this shirt from the picture above? Wanted to be just like a momma and I already was as tall as her in 7th grade:I played field hockey in 7th and 8th grade. Pictures post practice is never a good idea:Eighth grade. Still have that sweater, actually:1st day of school with my volleyball stuff, freshman or sophomore year:Sophomore Varsity picture:I loved this picture so much at the time, but now it just reminds me of the stupid things I did to stay that skinny: compulsively exercise AFTER practice, restrict eating, occasionally throw up. Worst part is I wasn't ever completely satisfied. I'm bigger now, but I'm also healthier and a whole lot happier. Anyone that has eaten with me, especially when I'm on vacation, knows I've kicked that lifestyle. I pray any girl of mine doesn't repeat my mistakes. Not worth it:Prom dress Junior year, the stick of butter dress:Senior Pictures before senior year. Finally got rid of those bangs!: Many of the girls at my school had this pose. 10 years later, I have no idea why:With mom when I got one of my volleyball tournament all-star selections:Basketball, pre broken nose. I had a picture in this post of me playing with that awful mask, but I accidently deleted it. There were many pictures of it in the paper and I know my dad still has a copy:Injuries plagued me since my freshman year with ankle sprains, shin stress fractures, knee tendonitis, a concussion... but senior year was the worst. The dosey was I broke my nose near the end of the basketball season senior year. If I would have had it fixed immediately my season would have been over. I opted to play with an awful mask that restricted my vision and fogged up when I sweat so I could play. After we were eliminated just before we could get to States a month or so later I had it re-broken and corrected. Here I am just about healed, sans makeup. A few weeks later I had my 2 wisdom teeth out. That mas my 18th birthday month, bruised and swollen. I did get to stay home for a week during March Madness though:High School graduation:BYU with my twin:Go Cougs!:Autrey and I when we were dating. This is the picture Grandma Holdaway used on our Wedding Party inviations. I don't know why this scan has something on my chin, but oh well:Consider this my Reader's Digest version of my life before I got married, since this counts as basically the only family history I do.

4 comments:

  1. You were then.. and are now.. a joy and blessing to me and dad! I can stare at and enjoy those pictures again and again! We love you soooo much and are so proud of you! We are so happy for the life you have now and count our blessing daily to have you for a daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome. :) so many great pics and so many great outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it weird that we didn't really grow up together? I've never really thought about it, but I was in second grde when you were in college. At least we have pictures together now! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed really hard when I read your teeth and wearing the pants comments! You have always been able to make me laugh at how you frame things! By the way, I'm pretty sure the baby picture in the bunny outfit is me not you. You can't take credit for that cuteness ;)

    ReplyDelete