Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Has it been 4 years already?

Today Autrey and I celebrate our 4th wedding anniversary. If you were a fly on our kitchen wall on Monday, you would have heard the following conversation:

Shilo: “You ready for another anniversary?”

Autrey: “Has it been 2 years already?”

Shilo: “Um, try 4 years, chief.”

Autrey: “No. I would have gotten rid of you by 4 years.”

Shilo: “Well, you still have 2 days…”

I have been holding my breath, but 2 days have come and gone and it looks like Autrey has decided to keep me around a little bit longer. *whew!* And I guess it is a good sign it has only felt like 2 years to him. For me, sometimes it feels like we just got married and sometimes I have a hard time remembering what it was like without him. We have come a long way since we met and became friends back at BYU while both living at the King Henry apartment complex, that’s for sure.

Brief overview of the past 5 years: The next school year we both just happened to move to the Raintree apartment complex. (Coincidence? I think not. Either Autrey was secretly stalking me or greater powers were at work.) We dated that fall semester and became “unofficially” engaged in December (read: no ring). Then Autrey took off to go play baseball for a semester at Southern Virginia University. He had committed to do this during the summer before we started dating and I supported his decision, despite the unappealing 4 month long distance situation. I graduated from BYU in April of 2005, we got married in Houston, Texas in June, moved into Wymount married housing in July (aka the rabbit hutches), and I started my first teaching job in August while Autrey went to BYU. Autrey graduated in April 2007 and we moved to St. Louis so he could attend Washington University in St. Louis. He should (better!) earn his doctorate in physical therapy and graduate in May 2010. Last week I finished my 4th year of teaching (2 years of 1st grade in Utah, 2 years of 2nd grade in Missouri).

I don’t think Autrey was remembering all of those things when he made his comment about our approaching “2nd anniversary” on Monday (even though I am about 90% sure he was joking…you never really know with him). I know Autrey well enough to see through his friendly banter and know that he still loves me and wouldn’t ever get rid of me. (At least not until he graduates and is no longer in need of a sugar mama!) Likewise, he knows he is my best friend and the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. Here’s to 4 years and many more. Happy anniversary, love!

No comments:

Post a Comment