Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I was right!! It's a...

BOY!!! Autrey and I just got home from the hospital and the doctor told us that we are definitely having a little boy. We have already chosen a name for him, Dylan Taylor Duke, so from here on out he will be referred to as Dylan. Dylan was true to form, jumping and bouncing around the entire time. He even had hiccups for part of the time. I am now sure that the little jabs I am feeling are kicks. I may have an active child on my hands if this pattern holds up. He seems to be healthy and growing normally at 17 weeks, weighing in at 7 oz. with a heart rate of 163. The doctor did tell us that he noticed some cysts in his brain (which is fairly common and usually go away 95% of the time) and that the umbilical cord was attached in an odd spot (probably due to my heart-shaped uterus), so he will be watching extra carefully to make sure that Dylan is growing normally and doesn't come too early. I am really glad now that I had my cerclage surgery last week, because that should help keep him in there as long as possible. Even though the doctor said there is a possiblity that he may be born smaller than normal, I think there is very little chance he will stay that way, given the set of genes he is working with. The doctor isn't worried about anything yet and neither am I. Here are some of the pictures from today's visit:


It's a boy! (And this site is now rated PG-13)



Isn't he cute? Notice how Dylan is in a different position in each of the pictures. The last picture looks like he is kneeling. He seems to be enjoying himself, swimming and kicking all day. We are so excited to be having a little boy! Autrey thoroughly enjoyed calling my dad, father of 4 girls, and teasing him saying, "I don't know why it was too hard for you to get a boy. I mean, I'm getting one on the first try." They had a good laugh about that. Well, I need to get packing for our drive to Dallas in the morning, but I just wanted to share the good news!

4 comments:

  1. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I am a psyhic!! I called that before you even got pregnant!! I'm so happy for yooouuuu! love love love love you. _Hammy__

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Boys are fantastic. Everyone needs a little boy in their life.

    Oh, and, um, way to hold out on me, blogger!!! I'm very happy to see you have one though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, you've had a blog since .... forever? Congrats on the boy news!! Woo Hoo! So exciting! You are going to make a FANTASTIC mom! (And with such great cub scout experience!) Come back soon, we miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah!! congrats!! im so excited to meet dylan...and i love the name! (jayden had that brain cyst thing and it went away, so yah no biggie.) enjoy your trip! we'll miss ya!

    ReplyDelete