Friday, March 13, 2020

Robbie's 1st day of Preschool (Early Childhood Special Education...formerly Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities)

From Facebook on Feb 3:
MY BABY STARTED PPCD PRESCHOOL TODAY!!!*
*I know they are transitioning from the title PPCD (Preschool Program for Children with Disabilities) to ECSE (Early Childhood Special Education) but not many people know that yet.
You guys, I didn't anticipate how much this transition would trigger anxiety at the thought of sending Robbie to school for 3 hours every day. Don't get me wrong, I am excited for his learning opportunity and for me to slowly put myself/the house/my social life back together guilt free...but as soon as the nurse told me she didn't know how to replace his G-button if it were to get pulled out (on the heels of his recent ER visit) it made me nervous. I had assumed she would know how. And it snowballed. What if he falls? Who is going to help orally feed him? Will they understand what he's saying? etc.
I woke up at 2:30 am and finally got up at 4:30 am when it was clear my brain wasn't going to let me fall back asleep right away. Eventually I did for a bit until I woke up crying from a bad dream, not even Robbie related. Then Autrey's alarm went off. And Robbie's pump beeped 3 different times within an hour. Going to school dredged up all of the anxiety and stress I've buried down deep after 3 years of hospitals, doctors, surgeries, and therapies and ALWAYS being with my little buddy. Change is hard, but change can be good.
I'm really grateful Meredith Anderson Breinholt scheduled a lunch date for this afternoon a few weeks ago when she could see this might be a tough day (for me, not him). And now I am ready to go get my big boy. ❤️ #Arthrogryposis #AMCstrong

No comments:

Post a Comment